FAQs for an amputee

As an amputee, I get some Frequently Asked Questions. Most people just stare, but the ones who do muster up the courage to come talk to me ask a handful of pretty typical questions. Comment below if you’ve gotten these or share ones I may not have heard!

What happened to your leg?

While I was surfing off the coast of….sometimes I make up exciting stories like this, but the truth is I’m an amputee because of a congenital defect. I was born with Clubfoot and had to get my leg amputated in order to be able to walk. I got this surgery over 20 years ago, so no it does not hurt now! The full story is here!

fake leg, amputee, artificial limb, leg, doctor's office, prosthetics, amputeelife, question of the day

Can you take it off?

I can take it off (depending on what I’ve decided to wear for the day). Skinny jeans make it difficult to take off, but I take it off daily, and sometimes more than once! Some days I don’t wear it at all due to being too sore. On those days I wear an Iwalk!

crutch, beach, orthotic, walk, stroll, iwalk

Do you sleep with it on? Do you shower with it on?

I slept with it on once and will never EVER do that again. It hurt so bad the next day that I couldn’t wear it at all that day. I take it off at night when I sleep, and when I’m taking a shower. It’s important to rest your leg/arm, and important to clean the skin beneath the artificial limb!

Is the foot real? Is your leg inside of there?

Surprisingly I get asked this question a lot. It may be surprising to fellow amputees, but I can see where the confusion comes into play. I mean I walk pretty damn good for that to all be fake….just kidding! Everything below my knee is artificial, and my real leg has been long gone. My real knee does go inside of the leg, but other than that, completely fake.

St. Louis, Missour, Shriner's Hospital, Amputation, Surgery, operation, medical, amputee, amputated

Can you drive?

Yes, I can drive! I’ve even learned stick-shift. I drive without hand controls and have been known to have a leadfoot haha.

driving as an amputee, amputee, driving

Do you know so-and-so, he’s an amputee?

The Amputee Coalition of America estimates that there is an estimated population of 2 million American amputees. It is projected that the amputee population will more than double by the year 2050 to 3.6 million. So….no I do not! However, I have met some pretty kickass amputees through Dare2Tri’s Paratriathlon club!

Dare2Tri Paratriathlon amputees

11 thoughts on “FAQs for an amputee

• November 29, 2017 at 8:48 am

What does it feel like??
    I’m a left leg bka and a new amputee.
    I enjoy lifting weights and trying to push and I even thought of joining a Comp but the number question people ask when they see me deadlifting or squatting is does it hurt.

• November 30, 2017 at 7:51 am

Welcome to the amputee community! You should definitely compete if that’s what you really want 🙂 I get that question a lot, too. It used to bother me getting questions, but over time I have used it educate non-amputees on what it is we go through. You could be a great example in the deadlifting community, but only if that’s something you’re comfortable with.

• November 29, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I had one kid ask me if killed the shark that ate my leg? Lol kids say the craziest things!

• November 30, 2017 at 7:52 am

Haha that’s awesome! Thanks for sharing the comedic side of being an amputee 🙂

• November 29, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Hello, I m a right leg below the knee amputee, for about 5 years now. My question is what kind of walking stick would suggest for me, I m 65 years old 260 lbs 6ft 3in tall

• November 30, 2017 at 7:56 am

That is an excellent question! You should definitely ask your prosthetist as I am not a medical professional. The amputee coalition ( https://www.amputee-coalition.org/ ) is a great resource as well!
      I use trekking poles when I am hiking, and an iWALK when I need a break from my leg.

• December 1, 2017 at 3:04 am

Hi

I saw you tweet about blog and I thought I’d checkout your website. Looks like angelina has come a long way. Keep up the good work.
    I am sure you will like my blog http://www.twosomelife.com too.

• December 1, 2017 at 8:03 am

Thank you so much for checking out my blog & for sharing yours!

• December 1, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Angelina,
    I found your blog on Reddit and thought I’d stop in. You are doing great work, and your FAQ post looks very similar to mine.
    I just started my own blog a few weeks ago, if you’d like to check it out(www.ampedupdad.com) sometime.
    I hope to stop in from time to time to check out what you’ve been up to.
    God Bless,
    Channon

• December 2, 2017 at 7:04 am

Hello Channon,
      Thank you so much for checking out my blog 🙂 Yours is amazing! I love the ongoing FAQ portion that’s clever!! I will be sure to stop in from time to time as well.

Cheers,
      Angelina

• December 2, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Thanks for checking it out! I’m hoping I can get my site looking like yours. I’ve just gotta get some good pictures. 😀